There are a lot of reasons you might be thinking about deleting your Facebook account — perhaps you think you spend too much time on it and want to take a social media cleanse, or maybe you and your friends have already stopped using it, so thereâ€™s no reason to keep it around.
Which means, if youâ€™re intent on getting rid of your account for temporary detox purposes, you might want to consider alternative methods to detoxing from social media without deleting anything.
But if youâ€™re sure youâ€™re ready to leave the worldâ€™s most popular social media network, itâ€™s a simple process.
Keep in mind, if you delete your Facebook, your photos and all your Facebook information will be lost forever. If you want to save that information, Iâ€™d suggest downloading a copy of it.
To download a copy of all your Facebook information, go to â€œSettingsâ€� and click, â€œDownload a copy of your Facebook data,â€� and then, â€œStart My Archive.â€�
This will ensure you can still find all those awkward middle school photos, years down the road.
To find out how to delete or deactivate your Facebook account, or delete a group or page youâ€™ve created, read on.
How to Delete or Deactivate Your Facebook Account
How to Delete Facebook
- Go to https://m.facebook.com/account/delete
- Click â€œdelete my accountâ€�
- Do not log back into Facebook and wait 14 days for the deletion request to complete
Once youâ€™re sure youâ€™re ready to delete your Facebook account permanantly, click this link. When you click the link, this message will pop up:
All you need to do is click â€œDelete My Account.â€�
Facebook notes it takes a few days to complete deletion after you request it, and if you log back into Facebook during that time, youâ€™ll cancel the deletion request.
Remember, if you think thereâ€™s a chance youâ€™ll want to reopen your Facebook account in the future, you might want to deactivate it instead of deleting it. If you deactivate your account, Facebook saves all your information, photos, and settings, and you can reactivate at any time. In the meantime, your profile will just be hidden.
How to Deactivate Facebook
- Click â€œSettingsâ€�
- Under General Account Settings, click â€œManage Accountâ€�
- Click â€œDeactivate Accountâ€�
- Enter Facebook password to continue
- Choose a â€œreason for leavingâ€� multiple-choice bubble, then click â€œDeactivateâ€�
How to Delete Your Facebook Group
Weâ€™ve covered how to delete your account, but letâ€™s say you donâ€™t want to delete your whole account — you just want to delete a group you created.
Note: if you didnâ€™t create the group but youâ€™re an admin, you can only delete the group if the original creator leaves it.
How to delete a Facebook Group
- Go to the group you want to delete and click â€œMembersâ€�
- Beside each person, select â€œRemove from Groupâ€�
- Once you remove everyone else, choose â€œLeave Groupâ€� next to your name
- Click â€œLeave and Deleteâ€�
1. Go to the group you want to delete, and click â€œMembers.â€� Click beside each personâ€™s name, and select â€œRemove from Group.â€�
2. Once youâ€™ve removed everyone else in the group, choose â€œLeave Groupâ€� next to your name.
3. Click â€œLeave and Deleteâ€�.
4. And voila! Your Facebook Group is gone.
How to Delete Your Facebook Page
If you created a Facebook Page for a personal business youâ€™ve since abandoned, or an old fan Page for Justin Bieber that no longer suits your passions, thereâ€™s an easy way to delete it.
How to Delete a Facebook Page
- Go to your page and click â€œSettingsâ€�
- Scroll to bottom of Generals Tab and click â€œRemove Pageâ€�
- Click â€œDelete [Page]â€� then click â€œOkâ€�
To delete a Page, you have to be the creator of a Page — something I learned the hard way. This was the inspiration behind my very short-lived business, â€œCarolineâ€™s Consulting Business.â€�
If you want to delete a Page youâ€™ve created, hereâ€™s how:
1. Go to your Page, and click â€œSettings.â€�
2. From the General Tabs within Settings, scroll to bottom and click â€œRemove Page.â€�
3. Click â€œDelete [Page Name]â€� then click â€œOk.â€�
4. And thatâ€™s it! Itâ€™s important to note Facebook takes up to fourteen days to delete your Page.
Source: New feed